In the age of social networking, smartphones, permanent web mobile access... why bother sending SMS? Because sometimes your audience it's not online and you want to be sure they get your message ASAP!
From our past and current experience, sometimes it's better to choose SMS when sending something:
- Important: please note that "important" doesn't mean "formal" (SMS are typically an informal way of communication);
- Meaningful: with your message your client can now make better decisions or just relax because everything is working as planned;
- Urgent: if your client would really appreciate knowing this in real-time it's urgent, otherwise you might being intrusive.
In a way, SMS is as urgent as a phone-call but less intrusive. However, impersonal or inadequate messages might be also very intrusive. So, as usual, you must consider the legitimacy of sending an SMS: unauthorised SMS sending will be treated as SPAM by your client and your communication effort will be pointless.
Here are some examples when you might consider sending SMS:
- Sales related message, e.g.: payment confirmation, order status or delivery details.
- Last-minute changes, e.g.: changing the day or the hour of an event, appointment, etc.
- Marathon results, e.g.: notifying your client's time and place.
- Promotions, e.g.: surprise offers available for a short period of time.
Although it has come costs, SMS is indeed an immediate, universal and easy way to reach your audience. Sometimes, it's just a question of opportunity and you don't want to miss it!